So... remember the picture of the stack of paints I needed for this month's commitment? Yeah... I didn't have all of them. It's amazing the colours I used to paint a squad of bikers in black power armour!
The bases are ready to go. I applied the muddy tracks last night - you can't see most of the track once the bike's pinned to the base but I know it's there. I mixed Forgeworld's Light Earth weathering powder with PVA glue and water, then applied it in a paste. I spread it with a stir stick and patted it down. That gives the effect of the grass being mown down by the bike's wheels.
I did twelve bases so that the ones for the other Ravenwing squad are done too. After the mud dried I painted the edges with Calthan Brown.
My hand's not as steady as it was two years ago so the edge highlighting isn't as pretty as the last lot. I did the first round of highlight with Vallejo's German Grey, then did a smaller highlight with Codex Grey. The final clearcoat after basing will knock the highlight back a bit so it won't be as stark.
I applied the same PVA/pigment mix to the tyres then wiped most of it off. The PVA really helps the powder to stay in place.
All I need to do now is to pin the bikes to the bases. Pin vise and paper clips are standing ready!