As I've mentioned I'm working on building more Ravenwing so that I can do a lot of basecoating at the same time. I have built two Deathshroud/Vengeance kits in the last week and fully magnetised them. You can read about how I went about that in the previous blog entry.
THOSE are not my commitment for February. Well, not the main one. My building commitment for February is to get those built as well as a Nephilim with magnetised nosecone weaponry and a Dark Talon with magnetised wing weaponry. There will be bloggage on the builds After that is done, I will paint my Chaplain Dreadnought.
The Chaplain was built in a moment of hobby ADD in mid January. Nice model. I was frustrated but not surprised that the spines on the Iron Halo are all wonky, so I will have to use a hairdryer to try and soften them up for straightening. My OTHER frustration is that the pegs on the side of the sarcophagus are a LOT smaller than the holes in the weapon arms; the arms just fall right off.
I first tried to just make a good friction fit by stuffing grey stuff into the holes then displacing the excess by pushing the arm onto the dreadnought. It worked to an extent but I wasn't COMPLETELY satisfied. So I dug out the trust 1/16" x 1/16" cylindrical magnets from KJ Magnetics and went at it. I magnetised the left arm too rather than just gluing it in place. That will help to keep it from being damaged in transit.
|Since I'm a mechanic, you'll usually see hands that I can't always get all the way clean!|
The model has two close combat weapon arms, and a plasma cannon as a swap-out depending on the desired application. I will be putting him in a Lucius pattern drop pod that will come in a lovely shade of Deathwing. With two CCW arms he'll be able to perform some righteous topiary on the enemy upon his arrival :)
I would have loved to put a heavy flamer on the sarcophagus but apparently it's only available with the Grey Knight venerable dreadnought kit. Oh well. I put the storm bolter on and if someone gets all bitchy about WYSIWYG over a tiny storm bolter that you can't see from three feet then they're not worth having a game with. YEAH!
The base is from Mr. Dandy. I'll most likely flock it and put mud holes in it too. It's held in place with paper clips for now, as is the torso - it will be permanently pinned to the legs after painting is complete.