Monday, September 20, 2010

Nids and Nidability

Hey.  What's this?! There's not a single Calibanian in that picture.  Nobody's wearing robes, nobody's keeping secrets. What the hell?!

Ahhh, worry not dear friends. It's a side project.  I am attempting to build a Tyranid army without paying full price for any model.  Or at least, the majority of them. It's a social experiment tailored to size, to paraphrase the immortal Roy Harper.

It started when I got a free Fortress of Redemption.  I won't say where or how, needless to say I got it legally and for free. Which was nice.  Except I already have one.  So I took it to my local GW where they exchanges it for me as it was still sealed and they didn't have one in stock.  I ummed and aaaahed for a while, resisting the temptation to get MORE Spess Mareen stuff (even though a third Ravenwing box was calling my name) and picked up the Tyranid codex and Battleforce. Paid a measly fourty dollars or something in difference and off I went.  People were agog

"Chris is doing nids!" (And all at the same time! F'nar!)
"Chris has dropped his Dark Angels!" (which I will deny at the top of my lungs from the highest peak)
etc.

So I got the battleforce. Put that together.  Hmmm need more stealers.
I love Craigslist.  I love eBay.  Now I have 40 2nd edition Space Hulk genestealers.  Unpainted. I have more spore mines than I can shake a stick at.  I got more gaunts and a hive tyrant at discount and bought gaunt bodies and heads from Hoard O'Bits to make more gaunts using the arms left over! Then I got three warriors for $20 which were unassembled and unwanted.  That would make my warrior brood and Prime.
OMFG - I looked at all of the niddiness I had amassed and was... a little overwhelmed.  That's a hell of a lot of dipping to be done in the near future.  Possibly a whole liter of Minwax will be used.

And I did it again today.  Craigslist, you slut. I answered her call again today and got:


9 stealers with rending claws
3 termagaunts with devourers
2 termagaunts with spinefists
21 termagaunts with fleshborers
6 hormagaunts
1 base of rippers
10 spore mines
1 old Zoanthrope that needs basing somehow
1 old (smaller) hive tyrant (which will now be my Tyranid prime)

Not cleaned of flash, poorly primed and some horribly painted. $25.

I'm off to buy some Simple Green to give them a bath.  Really, they're horrible.  It looks like a certain local Howling Griffons player painted them. Yikes.

I may start a sub-blog to cover the creation of my bug army, or maybe not.

4 comments:

  1. I have 3 blogs, cuz some people just don't want to read about Ultramarines while they're reading about Death Korps or Blood Angels. Just like they don't want to read about your Tyranids while they're reading about your Dark Angels. :)

    Doo eeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps. Not now. Later. When I have something to blog about.

    ReplyDelete